Waterford v Tipperary Match Report

Kelly class sees Tipp past Déise


Waterford 1-9 Tipperary 0-14

By John Murphy

IN the rapidly deteriorating conditions, and on a terrible surface, all credit to Tipperary and Waterford for serving up an exciting quarter-final game in the Waterford Crystal Cup under floodlights at Carrickbeg last night.

The game only went ahead after Limerick ref Declan O’Driscoll consulted with both sides, and as the rain continued to fall, the wisdom of the decision to play came more and more into question.

While Tipp were good value for their win, they had to pull out all the stops to withstand Waterford’s battling second-half rally.

Fielding nine of the players that saw some championship action in 2008, Tipperary began in a fashion that hinted they might steamroll their way past a largely experimental home side that included no more than a handful of regulars.

Tipp’s intent to win this cup for a third successive year was mirrored in their aggressive start, and early points from Seamus Hennessy and Willie Ryan got them off to a flyer.

Most pleasingly of all for manager Liam Sheedy in that opening half will have been the sparkling form of the recalled Paul Kelly at corner forward. Having his first outing in the blue and gold jersey since 2007, he surely set down a marker for games to come.

If his point on the quarter was quality, it was even bettered by the one he rifled over six minutes later, and the holders eased into a 0-9 to 0-2 lead by the 23rd minute. But the remaining seven minutes of the half saw Waterford come forcibly into the game, with midfielder Jamie Nagle leading the way and Gary Hurney emerging as a real threat up front. Three rapid fire points from Thomas Ryan (2) and Hurney narrowed the deficit to four, although Hennessy’s late strike enabled Tipp to retire at the break with a double scores advantage, 0-10 to 0-5.

From the restart, they found themselves increasingly under the cosh as Waterford grabbed the ascendancy in key areas. Shane Casey’s point and Jack Kennedy’s 37th-minute goal after his namesake goalkeeper Gerry had brought of a smart save, narrowed the deficit to the minimum. Waterford were level in the 43rd minute and in front for the first time on 45 minutes when Casey (free) and Nagle ("65”) both found the range.

Another pointed free by Nagle put Waterford two in front, and Tipperary had still to break their scoring duck in that second half. Hennessy put that right with a fine score in the 48th minute, and they finished stronger with further clinching points from Kelly – another beauty – and a brace from an Egan free and a "65”.

A deserved victory for Tipp with that impressive Paul Kelly return the individual highlight, but Waterford manager Davy Fitzgerald will also take many positives as his seriously depleted side made Tipp battle all the way.

Scorers for Tipperary: D. Egan (0-4, 0-3 frees, 0-1 "65”); P. Kelly (0-3); S. Hennessy (0-3, 0-1 free, 0-1 "65”); W. Ryan (0-2); J. Woodlock, H. Maloney (0-1) each.

Waterford: J. Kennedy (1-0); J. Nagle (0-3, 0-2 "65s”, 0-1 free); T. Ryan (0-2, frees); S. Casey (0-2, frees); P. Hurney, G. Hurney (0-1 each).

TIPPERARY: G. Kennedy; C. O’Brien, D. Fanning. B. Maher; B. Dunne, P. Curran, D. Fitzgerald; J, Woodlock, H. Maloney; S. Hennessy, J. Devane, P. Maher; W. Ryan, D. Egan, P. Kelly.

Subs: S. Maher for Fanning; J. O’Brien for Dunne.

WATERFORD: C. Hennessy; D. O’Brien, M. O’Brien, N. Connors; J. Hurney, S. O’Sullivan, P. Murray; J. Nagle, S. Walsh; P. Hurney, J. Kennedy, T. Connors; T. Ryan, G. Hurney, S. Casey.

Subs: M. Walsh for Ryan; S. Prendergast for Walsh; E. Murphy for Casey.

Referee: D O’Driscoll, Limerick.

Yellow Cards 1; Red Cards 0.


Leave a Reply