Tipperary advance to meet Kilkenny in All-Ireland Under 21 Final

In today’s Semi-Finals Tipperary beat Derry 1-20 to 0-10 and Kilkenny beat Galway 2-14 to 1-13.  Tipperary will now meet Kilkenny in the Final in Croke Park on Sunday 14th September in a programme which includes the Senior and Junior All-Ireland Camogie Finals.

From rte.ie

After an absence of a year, Tipperary are back in the Under-21 All-Ireland Hurling final following a comprehensive 13-point victory over Ulster champions Derry at a damp Cusack Park in Mullingar.

Tipperary captain Seamus Hennessy led by example and he set his county on the way to victory with the first point of the game after just 25 seconds of play.

Further points from Seamus Callinan, Pa Bourke and Shane Bourke had the Premier County four points ahead before Derry got off the mark with their first score from Michael Kirkpatrick after a quarter of an hour’s play.

A goal and two points from Pa Bourke stretched the lead with the green flag raised when Bourke fired a free to the net from 25 metres.

Kirkpatrick got Derry’s second point on 19 minutes but it was mainly one-way traffic as Tipperary then fired over three unanswered points to lead by 1-09 to 0-02.

A Shane Bourke point in between two from Derry’s Paddy Henry and Ben Dodds saw Tipp head in at half-time leading by 1-10 to 0-04 and well on their way to a final date.

Any chances of a Derry revival on the resumption of play were blown away by a scoring blitz from Declan Carr’s men.

Six points in as many minutes saw the lead increased to 15 points, 1-16 to 0-04. Derry got their first point of the half when Dodds fired over midway through but it was of little consequence as substitute Johnny Ryan quickly restored the 15-point advantage with a nice score from play.

Michael Kirkpatrick pointed for Derry when he sent over a free but further Tipperary points from Ryan and two pointed frees from captain Hennessy left the score at 1-20 to 0-06 as the game entered the closing stages.

Hennessey’s point after 50 minutes ended the scoring for the winners as they eased up approaching full time.

A gallant Derry team got the final four scores of the game to reach double figures but it was only a consolation as Tipperary deservedly advanced to a final meeting with Kilkenny.

TIPPERARY: M Ryan; M Cahill (0-01); P Maher; K Maher; K Lanigan; T Stapleton; B Maher (0-01); G Ryan (0-01); S Hennessy (0-04, -02frees); P Maher; T McGrath (0-02); S Callinan (0-01); P Burke (1-05, -02 frees -01 65′); S Bourke (0-03); J McLoughney.

Subs- J O’Keeffe for McLoughney 12m, G Hannigan and R McLoughney for P Maher and Lanigan h/t, J Ryan (0-02) for S Bourke 43m, T Hammersley for Callinan 45m.

DERRY: D McDermott; S McNicholl; S Henry; N O’Doherty; S Dodds; M Craig; C McKenna; N Holley; O McCloskey; P Henry (0-01); B Dodds (0-03); R O’Kane; S L McGoldrick (0-02, -01 free); P McCloskey; M Kirkpatrick (0-03, -02 frees).

Subs- C Murphy for O’Doherty h/t, D Brunton for Holley 38m, G Kelly

(0-01) for Henry 50m.

Leave a Reply