Tipperary 0-23 Clare 0-16 and other Allianz NHL Reports

From www.rte.ie  

Tipperary once again proved the undoubted class as their cantered to a 0-23 0-16 victory over Clare in this Allianz National Hurling League Division 1 clash at Semple Stadium.

Tipp captain Willie Ryan lead by example, claiming three early points, which were matched by Clare, to leave the scores level at 0-03 0-03 early on.

However, five unanswered points saw Tipp’ put real daylight between themselves and Clare, with Ryan pulling all the strings, claiming seven points in the first half.

Clare were trailing 0-12 to 0-06 at one stage, however a mini-rally saw Barry Nugent, Niall Gilligan and Tony Griffin all claim points to leave the scores at 0-12 to 0-10 at half-time.

The hosts extended their lead minutes after the restart with Seaman Callanan getting his name on the score-sheet.

Callanan scored further points, with John O’Brien and substitute Lar Corbett helping Liam Sheedy’s men to extend their lead to seven points – 0-22 to 0-15.

Clare needed a goal if they were to have any hope of getting back into the game and were presented with the perfect opportunity when they awarded a penalty, however, goalkeeper Brendan Cummins saved from Colm Ryan to effectively wrap things up.

Tipp go clear at top of Division 1

From www.gaa.ie

Tipperary went three points clear at the top of National Hurling League Division One on Sunday, while there were also wins for Waterford – who gained revenge on Kilkenny for last year’s All-Ireland final defeat – and for Galway and Limerick.

National Hurling League Division One:
Tipperary 0-23 Clare 0-16

The holders made it three wins from three at Semple Stadium as they showed just that bit more guile and accuracy than their Munster cousins, Willie Ryan and Seamus Callinan starring for Liam Sheedy’s side.

Diarmuid McMahon opened the scoring for The Banner, but Tipp were quick to hit back with a hat-trick of points from returning captain Ryan, two having come from frees.

A Barry Nugent score and another from McMahon had the sides level but Tipp then broke away with Callinan, Thomas Stapleton and Paul Kelly pointing and Ryan bagging two more. Tony Griffin and Jonathan Clancy pulled a couple back for Clare, but Tipp had a little cushion now and it was one they would keep for the rest of the game despite several Banner surges

The Premier men has their own surge to go 0-12 to 0-6 clear with Niall McGrath joining the scorers but points from Nugent, Niall Gilligan, Colin Ryan and Griffin had the visitors back to within two at the break.

Callinan brilliantly put over the first score of the second half within a minute of the whistle but Clare defender Gerry Quinn hit back with a sublime long-range point from well in his own half. Tipp soon took a five-point lead with Callinan, McGrath and Stapleton all adding further points as Clare continued to struggle to cope with Tipp’s extra class.

Following points from Ryan and Nugent, the former was given the chance to drag his side closer to their eventual conquerors late on, but his penalty was superbly saved by the evergreen Brendan Cummins, leaving Clare deadlocked with Cork at the foot of the table, neither side having taken a point yet.

Waterford 2-17 Kilkenny 1-16

Waterford achieved a small bit of revenge over Kilkenny after being thumped in the All-Ireland final last September by claiming victory at Walsh Park.

It was The Cats who started the game brighter by taking a slender lead, but it soon turned into a tit-for-tat contest with both sides registering scores whenever the other had popped a point over.

It was a highly competitive match that tested the accuracy of Ken McGrath and Richie Power, who were the free-takers for Waterford and Kilkenny respectively.

A goal in either half was enough to keep The Deise ahead for most of the match with the superb finishes coming from Stephen Moloumphy and Dan Shanahan. Power scored a fine goal for the visitors, but it wasn’t enough to inspire a comeback.

Cork 1-11 Galway 4-16

Cork continue to struggle in Division One with John McIntyre’s Galway recording their first win of the season in convincing fashion at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

The Connacht men were 0-3 to 0-0 to the good in no time, corner forward Niall Healy firing over the bar before David Tierney and Ger Farragaher added further scores.

Adrian Mannix fired over Cork’s first score, but there were not too many of them coming while the ever dangerous Farragher extended his tally with a quick double for a Tribesmen side looking to put their shock defeat to Dublin a fortnight ago behind them.

And it was very much forgotten when Tierney rasied a green flag midway through the half, Galway leading 1-8 to 0-1 at that stage.

Tadhg Og Murphy, Barry Johnson (2) and Eoin Cronin pulled back a few points for the Rebels, but Cyril Donnellan beat Alan Kennedy in the Cork goal just before the break to put the result, in truth, beyond doubt, Galway leading 2-11 to 0-5 as the teams made their way to the dressing rooms.

Early second half points from Donnellan and Healy extended the Galway advantage, and while Cronin and Mannix hit back, a long-ranger from visiting defender Andy Coen was evidence enough of the gulf in class between the sides.

Aongus Callinan then made that gulf all the bigger by bagging a quickfire brace and seeing a third ruled out for a square ball.

A long hopeful puck forward from Stephen White then drifted over everyone and past Galway’s debutant goalkeeper Eric Ward to sit in the net and raise a rare cheer from the home crowd.

Limerick 1-11 Dublin 0-12

Despite their best efforts Dublin came up short at the Gaelic Grounds as they slipped to defeat at the hands of an ever-improving Limerick side.

Alan McCrabbe was the man that kept Anthony Daly’s team in contention for the most part with an impressive points tally from his free-taking. However, he missed a crucial free in the dying minutes that would have levelled the scores.

In contrast to how Dublin played, the performance by Limerick should not be written off as Alan Moran and Andrew O’Shaughnessy impressed for the team wearing green jerseys.

There was nothing between the sides at the break with the scoreboard reading 0-6 to 0-6, but a second-half goal from Niall Moran put The Shannonsiders in control and they managed to eek out a win.

Leave a Reply