Thurles Sarsfields beat Clonoulty-Rossmore in SH Semi-Final Replay

Club Championship Round-up – October 11 / 12
Courtesy Ed Donnelly, Tipperary Co Board PRO


SHC Semi Replay;

Sarsfields 2-22 Clonoulty/Rossmore 1-20. aet

Thurles Sarsfields qualified for the 2008 County Senior Hurling Final this afternoon thanks to a five point victory over Clonoulty-Rossmore after extra time. This match had a little bit of everything as both committed teams provided a dramatic afternoon of hurling action. Sarsfields dominated the early stages and led by four points after 19 minutes thanks to a goal by Jim Corbett. However, Clonoulty-Rossmore fought back with Timmy Hammersley scoring a goal just before the interval which put the West champions in front by 1-7 to 1-6 at half-time. Clonoulty pushed on in the second half and led by five points on four separate occasions, including with six minutes to play. However, Sarsfields came back with five unanswered points with subs Johnny Enright and Richie Ruth getting crucial scores to force extra time. Sarsfields scored their second goal thanks to Lar Corbett early in the second half and the Thurles side led by a point at half-time in extra time. However, Sarsfields pushed on in the second half of extra time scoring some good points from play and by the finish, Sarsfields were through to the County Final thanks to a 2-22 to 1-20 victory. Thurles Sarsfields will now play Toomevara in next Sunday’s County Final. 

To view match tracker log on to

SFC Semi Final:
Galtee Rvs 1-11 Aherlow 2-6

Moving on to the County Senior Football Championship and Galtee Rovers came from behind to defeat Aherlow by two points in the semi-final this afternoon at Sean Treacy Park Tipperary Town.
Aherlow dominated the opening quarter, scoring 2-3 without reply to take a commanding lead with goals from Thomas Hanley and Seamus Grogan. However, Galtee Rovers came storming back and with Denis Peters scoring a goal for the Bansha men, Aherlow’s lead was cut to two points by half-time. Galtee Rovers reduced the lead to a point early in the second half before Aherlow stretched their lead to three points. However, Galtee were now well on top and scored six unanswered points to take a three point lead. Aherlow scored a point to reduce the lead to just two points and there was some late drama as Barry Grogan saw his penalty saved by the Galtee Rovers goalkeeper which ensured victory for Galtee Rovers on a scoreline of 1-11 to 2-6. Galtee Rovers will now play Cahir on Sunday October 26th in the 2008 County Senior Football Final.

IHC Semi Finals:

Templederry 2-20 Moyle Rvs 0-11

Templederry Kenyons defeated Moyle Rovers by 15 points in the County IHC Semi-Final at Dundrum yesterday afternoon. There was little between the teams in the first half with a Templederry goal by Donal McGrath in the 12th minute helping Templederry to a 1-7 to 0-9 lead at the interval. Templederry moved ahead in the second half and a 35th minute goal from Donal McGrath seemed to put Templederry in the driving seat as they restricted Moyle Rovers to just two points in the second half and by the end, Templederry were convincing winners on a scoreline of 2-20 to 0-11.

Newport 1-15 Drom/Inch 0-13

In the other semi-final at Templemore yesterday, Newport defeated Drom & Inch by 5 points. This was a close match all through. The teams were level at the interval and were still together with five minutes to go. Newport went in front thanks to a point from Eoin Shinnors before Newport substitute Vinny Moloney scored 1-1 in the final stages to ensure victory for Newport on a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-13.

JHC “A”Q. Finals
Moycarkey/Borris 2-19 Ballingarry 0-11:

In the curtain-raiser at Semple Stadium this afternoon, Moycarkey-Borris defeated Ballingarry by 14 points. Moycarkey-Borris led at the interval on a scoreline of 1-5 to 0-7 thanks to a goal from Johnny Flanagan. Moycarkey gradually extended their lead in the second half and when Cathal Ryan scored Moycarkey’s second goal, the match was over as a contest with Moycarkey-Borris winning out in the end on a scoreline of Moycarkey-Borris 2-19 Ballingarry 0-11.

Holycross Ballycahill 4.12, Ballylooby/Castlegrace 0-15,

Emly 1-20 Lorrha 0-17

MFC “B” Final:
Cahir 1-20 Kilruane MacDonaghs 0-2

Cahir won their second ever County Minor “B” Football Final earlier today thanks to a 1-20 to 0-2 victory over Kilruane MacDonaghs. Cahir proved too strong for their opponents all through and led by 1-10 to 0-1 at the interval with the goal coming from Paul McEvoy before running out convincing winners. Afterwards, Cahir captain Liam Meehan collected the cup from Football Board Chairman Noel Morris.

IFC Semi Finals:
Clonmel Óg 0-13 Rockwell Rvs 1-5


No results were submitted from South Tipperary in time for this report but I can confirm that Moyle Rovers captured the South Junior “B” Hurling title thanks to a victory over Mullinahone.


Watch Centre Junior "B" Hurling Championship FINAL:

The only result I have from North Tipperary from the weekend’s action was in the North Junior “B” Hurling Championship Final where Toomevara and Ballina finished level after extra time on a scoreline of 1-17 to 1-17.


U/21 B Hurling Final

Boherlahan Dualla 2-09 J K Brackens 0-12
There were just two matches played in the Mid Division with the highlight being the Mid Under 21 “B” Hurling Final won by Boherlahan for the first time in their history, defeating JK Brackens on a scoreline of 2-9 to 0-12.

Junior A Football S/F
Clonakenny 3-06 Moyne Templetuohy 3-04


C&C Engineering JFC ;’A Final.

Cappawhite 3-16 Rosegreen 2-8. AET.

Moving on to the West Division and Cappawhite captured their third West Junior “A” Football title in a row and fifth title in all at this grade thanks to a 3-16 to 2-8 victory over Rosegreen after extra time.

Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu JHC ‘B’ Final

Cashel 1-10 Golden/Kilfeacle 0-10

Meanwhile, Cashel King Cormacs won their first ever West Junior “B” Hurling title thanks to a 1-10 to 0-10 victory over Golden-Kilfeacle.

Lion Print U21HC ‘C’ Semi;
Sean Treacys 4-17 Lattin/Cullen 1-6

And the final result of the night comes from the West Under 21 “C” Hurling semi-final where Sean Treacys defeated Lattin-Cullen on a scoreline of 4-17 to 1-6.

Leave a Reply