Supporters News 14 January 2008

Premier get Sheedy off to a flyer 
By Brendan Larkin of the Irish Examiner newspaper

Tipperary 1-17 UCC 1-5

LIAM SHEEDY got his first season as manager of the Tipperary hurlers off to a winning start at Nenagh yesterday where his charges inflicted a crushing defeat on UCC in the Waterford Crystal Cup quarter-final.

Apart from the opening five minutes when they trailed 0-2 to 0-0, there was never a hint of an upset. A strong Tipperary team were level four minutes later and from there to the finish it was a walk in the park for the home side, who will have home advantage against Cork IT in next Sunday’s semi-final.

Manager Sheedy was pleased with the workout, but cautioned that this was only January and there is a lot of work still to be done before their Munster championship semi-final against Cork next June.

“One would have to be pleased with the performance,” said Sheedy. “We chalked up 1-17 which is a good score for the day that was in it. In fairness to the Nenagh club, the ground conditions were excellent.

“Our lads showed a bit of fight, they were eager and committed just like in training over the last three weeks, so from that point of view I have to pleased.”

The Cork students looked as if they were going to make a game of it when they raced into a two-point lead inside the opening minute. Unfortunately, they flattered to deceive, didn’t score again for the next 27 minutes and, once Tipp drew level, there was only going to be one result.

Not on the selected team initially, Eamon Corcoran came in at wing back for the injured Shane Maher and gave a five-star display.

If Corcoran was the hero in defence, then Shane Callinan was easily the best of the Tipp forwards. Drafted in after 10 minutes following an injury to Ryan O’Dwyer, the Drom & Inch man took his chance, scoring five excellent points from play, something that didn’t go unnoticed by his boss.

“Corcoran continues to turn in big performances for Tipperary, but you’d expect that from such an experienced player. But Callinan’s display was a real breath of fresh air for us. He found his feet very quickly after coming on. He carries no baggage and gave a polished performance on a player of Kevin Hartnett’s caliber.

“That is one of the benefits of playing games like this. It gives players the chance to show what they can do and Shane certainly did that today. We have another game next week and who knows what that will throw up?”

Michael Cahill — who had the unenviable task of marking Eoin Kelly — Darragh McSweeney and Kevin Hartnett defended well for UCC but the pressure was incessant and the home side eventually got through for a goal after 17 minutes.

It came following a splendid delivery by Pat Kerwick which Seamus Butler grabbed out of the air before kicking home from five metres out. Butler, who along with Willie Ryan, caused the UCC defence endless problems, should have goaled a second time soon after when he broke clear, but instead of going it alone, opted for a pass which went astray.

It mattered little, however, as Tipperary, with Corcoran playing majestically in defence along with Eamon Buckley and Conor O’Mahony, were totally in control and their half-time lead of 1-8 to 0-3 reflected their superiority.

The home side remained firmly in control throughout the second half, chalking up the points with ease, and by the 50th minute they had stretched their lead to 1-15 to 0-5 before the Cork students eventually beat Brendan Cummins in the Tipp goal when substitute Willie Shanahan touched home John Halbert’s 65.

It was a token score, however, and only served to put a more respectable look on the scoreboard.

Scorers — Tipperary: S. Callinan 0-5; E. Kelly 0-4 (0-3 frees); S. Butler 1-1; S. McGrath 0-3; P. Kerwick 0-2; J. Ceaser, P. Bourke 0-1 each.

UCC: M. Shanahan 1-0; J. Halbert 0-2 (0-1 free); T. Murray, J. Nagle, S. Moylan 0-1 each.

TIPPERARY: B. Cummins; E. Buckley, P. Curran, P. Stapleton; E. Corcoran, C. O’Mahoney, B. Dunne; J. Ceaser, S. McGrath; J. O’Brien, R. O’Dwyer, P. Kerwick; E. Kelly, S. Butler, W. Ryan.

Subs: S. Callinan for O’Dwyer; C. O’Brien for Stapleton; P. Bourke for Ryan; L. Corbett for Kerwick; J. Woodlock for McGrath.

UCC: A. Nash (Cork); K. Butler (Tipperary), D. McSweeney (Cork), M. Cahill (Tipperary); A. Harte (Galway), K. Hartnett (Cork), A. Quilligan (Clare); D. Browne (Clare), B. Moylan (Cork); J. Nagle (Waterford), B. Beckett (Kilkenny), T. Murray (Cork); P. Barry (Cork), M. Shanahan (Tipperary), J. Halbert (Cork).

Subs: R. Foley (Waterford) for Moylan; S. Moylan (Cork) for Murray; J. Jordan (Cork) for Browne; T. Mullane (Cork) for Harte.

Referee: G. Hoey (Clare).

Callanan shines as Tipp ease past UCC
Tipperary 1-17 UCC 1-5

From the Irish Independent newspaper

Monday January 14 2008

REIGNING champions Tipperary easily dismissed a UCC challenge in a one-sided Waterford Crystal Cup clash at Nenagh yesterday, with the help of an on-fire Seamus Callanan.

Tipp’s first competitive outing under new manager, Liam Sheedy proved a successful one with a comprehensive win over a disappointing UCC side.

UCC started brightly with points from Tomas Murray and Jamie Nagle but once the Premier County established themselves it was all one-way traffic.

Points from Shane McGrath and Eoin Kelly (free) brought Tipp on terms in the 10th minute before they lost Ryan O’Dwyer with a head injury and introduced the rangy Seamus Callanan.

Joe Caesar and Callanan edged a polished-looking Tipp outfit two clear before Seamus Butler grabbed Pat Kerwick’s inviting delivery and rattled the UCC net in the 17th minute.

Further points from Kerwick, Willie Ryan and Shane McGrath and a second Eoin Kelly free saw Tipp pull nine points clear before a late UCC point from John Halbert cut Tipp’s lead to eight at the break, 1-8 to 0-3.

Tipperary continued to impress in the second half with Seamus Callanan and Eamon Corcoran in fine form.

Callanan bagged five points from play as Tipp strolled to victory in what proved a niggly second half which saw referee Ger Hoey brandish a total of six yellow cards.

Shane McGrath, Eoin Kelly, Pat Kerwick and substitute, Pa Bourke were also on target with Mike Shanahan netting a consolation goal for UCC in the 56th minute. Tipperary now face Cork Institute of Technology in the semi-final of the competition in Templemore next Sunday.

Scorers — Tipperary: S Callanan 0-5, S Butler 1-1; E Kelly 0-4 (3f); S McGrath 0-3; P Kerwick 0-2; J Caesar and P Bourke 0-1 each. UCC: M. Shanahan 1-0; J. Halbert 0-2 (1f); S Moylan, J Nagle and T Murray 0-1 each.

Tipperary — B Cummins; E Buckley, P Curran, P Stapleton; E Corcoran, C O’Mahoney (c), B Dunne; J Caesar, S McGrath; J O’Brien. R O’Dwyer, P Kerwick; E Kelly, S Butler, W Ryan. Subs: S Callanan for O’Dwyer (10 inj); C O’Brien for Stapleton (33 inj); P Bourke for Ryan (47 inj); L Corbett for Kerwick (56); S Woodlock for McGrath (60).

UCC — A Nash; K Butler, D McSweeney, M Cahill; A Harte, K Hartnett, A Quilligan; D Browne, B Moylan; J Nagle, B Beckett, T Murray, P Barry, M Shanahan, J Halbert (C). Subs: R Foley for B Moylan (h/t); S Moylan for Murray (h/t); J Jordan for Browne (44); T Mullane for Harte (22).

Ref — G. Hoey (Clare).

– Waterford Crystal Cup

Leave a Reply