Round Up of Today’s NHL Division 1 games and Table




Dublin produced the shock of the day to beat last year’s All-Ireland finalists Tipperary by 1-21 to 1-12 at Parnell Park on Sunday.

Following last week’s opening day defeat to Waterford, morale must have been low in the Dublin camp, but Anthony Daly’s charges bounced back in style to stun the Premier County.

Tipperary struggled badly in their first outing of the league campaign and trailed by 1-12 to 1-7 at the break, despite opening the game in style when Eoin Kelly blasted a penalty to the back of the net in the first minute.

However, the Dubs hit back with a six-point burst to take control of the game, as the usual suspects, David O’Callaghan and Alan McCrabbe, were on target along with Liam Rushe and Maurice O’Brien.      

Tipp hit back with points from Noel McGrath and Eoin Kelly, but the Dubs were back on top when midfielder Johnny McCaffrey hit the back of the net before the break to help the home side into a five-point lead at the interval.

McCrabbe – who finished with a total of nine points – began to exert his considerable influence on the game after the restart, while David Treacy and Peter Kelly were also on target for the Dubs.

The home side then went into overdrive to take complete control of the game and led by nine points with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Eoin Kelly had the opportunity to restore some pride for Tipperary in the first minute of injury time, but he cracked a penalty effort off the bar after Lar Corbett had been fouled.   


Galway recorded their second straight league win with a 4-15 to 1-15 defeat of Waterford at Pearse Stadium on Sunday.

Having failed to impress in their opening day win over Limerick, manager John McIntyre will be a happy man after watching his side produce a much improved performance against the Déise.

McIntyre opted to start Niall Healy and Iarla Tannion after the pair gave impressive cameos last week, and they delivered a goal apiece in the opening quarter to help the Tribesmen to a 2-3 to 0-2 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Healy was on target inside the first minute, while Tannion continued the early onslaught when he drove through the Waterford defence to fire past a stunned Adrian Power.

Maurice Shanahan scored all of Waterford’s thee points from placed balls in the opening quarter, before Shane Walsh and Jamie Nagle then pitched in with points from play to further reduce the deficit.    

Galway’s early purpose appeared to evaporate and Walsh punished their lethargy when he fired the visitors’ goal in the 32nd minute before Richie Foley levelled the game soon after. Shanahan then tagged on a further two Waterford points to give his side a 1-8 to 2-3 half-time lead. 

McIntyre must have been furious at half-time because his players came out with renewed purpose after the break and hit three scores without reply to retake the lead.

Aidan Harte and Joe Gantley were amongst the scorers as Galway began to streak into the lead, before Tannion then grabbed another goal for the home side after Power dropped his tame effort over the line. 

Harte added Galway’s fourth goal in the final quarter to condemn Waterford to a nine-point defeat.


Kilkenny opened the defence of their Allianz GAA Hurling National League Divsion One title with a 1-17 to 0-12 win over Offaly at Nowlan Park.

The Cats led 0-10 to 0-7 at the break before Aidan Fogarty hit the back of the net in the 42nd minute to put daylight between the sides, and the champions never looked back as they recorded an eight-point win. 

Kilkenny’s victory came at a price, however, as their top scorer, Richie Power (0-8), was removed from Nowlan Park in an ambulance with what appeared to be a serious neck injury.

Kilkenny raced into an early, three-point lead thanks to scores from PJ Delaney and Power, but Shane Dooley slotted over three points without reply for the Faithful men to level the game.

Rory Hanniffy and Dooley were again on target for Offaly as the sides traded scores over the next 20 minutes, before the Cats hit two points just before the break to take a three-point buffer into the break.

Dooley reduced Kilkenny’s lead to just two immediately after the restart, but Fogarty then nudged home a scrappy goal eight minutes into the second half to leave Offaly with a mountain to climb. Their task wasn’t helped when they went 32 second half minutes without a score from play. 

Kilkenny stretched their advantage to 1-14 to 0-10 in the 60th minute and they scored three points to Offaly’s two in the last ten minutes to secure a comfortable win.  

Allianz National Hurling League Division 1

  Team P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Cork 2 2 0 0 3-43 2-25 21 4
2 Galway 2 2 0 0 5-33 2-26 16 4
3 Kilkenny 1 1 0 0 1-17 0-12 8 2
4 Waterford 2 1 0 1 5-28 4-27 4 2
5 Dublin 2 1 0 1 1-33 5-25 -4 2
6 Tipperary 1 0 0 1 1-12 1-21 -9 0
7 Limerick 2 0 0 2 2-25 3-39 -17 0
8 Offaly 2 0 0 2 1-23 2-39 -19 0
Last updated: 28 Feb 2010

Leave a Reply