National Hurling League – Tipperary vs. Galway

National Hurling League – Tipperary vs. Galway – Match Report

Kelly snatches draw for 14-man Tipp
by John Fallon of Setanta Sports

Eoin Kelly salvaged a draw for 14-man Tipperary with a pointed free from halfway into the teeth of a gale at Pearse Stadium.  It was no more than Tipperary deserved after a battling second-half performance with fourteen men after wing-forward Ryan O’Dwyer was sent off just before the break for a second yellow card.

Allianz NHL Division 1B: Galway 0-16 Tipperary 0-16

Galway, who drew with Offaly last time out, seemed poised for victory when they trailed by just 0-11 to 0-8 at half-time, having limited Tipperary to just four points from play when they had the wind in the opening half.  Biting wind and rain made hurling difficult but Tipperary centre-back Conor O’Mahony had his radar finely tuned and he landed five long-range points in the opening half from placed balls.

In contrast, Ger Farragher had an off-day for Galway with five of his eight wides coming in the opening period, three of them from sideline cuts.  But Galway finished the half strongly with Adrian Cullinane and Kerril Wade finding the range to reduce the margin to a goal before the break.

Tipperary, who lost impressive centre-forward Hugh Maloney after just nine minutes, worked much harder after the restart, restricting Galway to just a Niall Healy point in the third quarter, during which time Tipp added three including two in a row from wing-forward John O’Brien.  But then Galway got moving and points from Farragher, Aonghus Callanan, Kevin Hynes and Ger Mahon in a four-minute spell reduced the margin to 0-14 to 0-13 with quarter of an hour to go.

But with O’Mahony and full-back Paul Curran superb, Tipp closed down the Galway attack and Ger Loughnane¹s men did not draw level until eight minutes from time when Wade, who took over the free-taking duties from Farragher, pointed a 21 yards free from the left before edging them in front four minutes later with a free from over 80 metres.  However, Shane McGrath levelled for Tipp in the final minute of normal time before Wade pointed a free from 45 metres which looked set to win the day before Kelly held his nerve to secure a draw with his last gasp effort.

Galway: K Wade (0-6, four frees), G Farragher (0-3, all frees), N Healy (0-2), K Hynes (0-1), D Forde (0-1), A Cullinane (0-1), A Callanan (0-1), G Mahon (0-1).

Tipperary: C O’Mahony (0-5, four frees, one ¹65), E Kelly (0-4, three frees), S McGrath (0-2), J O¹Brien (0-2), H Maloney (0-1), P Kerwick (0-1), S Butler (0-1).

Galway: J Skehill; C Dervan, T Regan, F Moore; S Kavanagh, J Lee, G Mahon; F Healy, K Hynes; A Kerins, D Forde, N Healy; G Farragher, I Tannian, K Wade.

Subs: A Cullinane for Kerins, inj. 19 mins; A Callanan for Tannian, 45 mins.

Tipperary: B Cummins; E Buckley, P Curran, C O¹Brien; A Byrne, C O¹Mahony, B Dunne; J Woodlock, S McGrath; R O¹Dwyer, H Maloney, J O¹Brien; E Kelly, S Butler, P Bourke.

Subs: P Kerwick for Maloney, inj. 9 mins; W Ryan for Bourke, 43 mins; D Hickey for Butler, 62 mins; T Fitzgerald for J O¹Brien, 66 mins.

Referee: E Morris (Dublin)

Leave a Reply