Tipp get Cork’s measure

From the Irish Examiner newspaper

YOU couldn’t say it was inevitable, but it was highly significant that when the game was there for the winning in the last 10 minutes it was Tipperary who had the overall strength and the freshness to wrap up their place in the Munster SHC final in Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday.

And, quite apart from the historical nature of their victory, their achievement was all the more noteworthy for the character they showed in bouncing back from what appeared a worsening situation after 23 minutes when they trailed by 1-8 to 0-4.

Cork, who had not lost a home game to the Premier county since 1923, could point to a failed goal attempt from debutant corner-forward Paudie O’Sullivan’s penalty eight minutes into the second half and some poor finishing from decent possession over the last 25 minutes.

But, the plain fact is that they were fighting a losing battle from the time Eoin Kelly pointed a 61st minute free to put Tipp in front for only the first time since Shane McGrath put over the opening score of the game after a mere 15 seconds.

Played in perfect conditions, Cork were quick to establish an advantage in general play and, importantly, on the scoreboard in the way they threatened more in attack.

Other than Diarmuid O’Sullivan being troubled by Lar Corbett for a while early on, they were quite comfortable in defence and dominant in the half-back line — on both wings especially. John Gardiner was to turn in an exemplary first-half, while Sean Óg Ó hAilpín produced a standard he was to impressively maintain for the full 70 minutes.

Shane McGrath, who was Tipp’s most consistent player on the day, did as much good work at midfield as the splendid Tom Kenny but Kenny and Jerry O’Connor achieved far more as a partnership. Further forward Ben O’Connor exerted a strong influence at right half-forward, while Timmy McCarthy put in a huge effort on the other wing.

However, while Cathal Naughton played a huge role — given a roaming commission, and using his pace to great effect — the return from the other forwards was minimal in comparison, with Pa Cronin in particular failing to live up to his promise.

And, ultimately, that was to prove an important factor, all the more so when Naughton was played out of the game in the second half after Conor O’Brien continued to do an effective ‘marking’ job after swapping with Eamonn Buckley early on.

It was Ben O’Connor who got the Cork goal, in the seventh minute, availing of a break made by McCarthy and it was no surprise to see them open up a seven-points gap. By then Corbett had faded in the face of a stronger challenge from O’Sullivan, while Eoin Kelly hardly saw the ball and there was no real penetration at half-forward.

However, the situation changed dramatically when Kelly goaled in the 24th minute, using his strength to get away from Brian Murphy and giving Donal Óg Cusack no chance.

However, nine minutes later Cusack did deny him a goal with a great save. Improving play from Tipp in the half-forward line (where substitute Pat Kerwick made a difference) aided a recovery which only saw them a point behind at the break, 1-8 to 1-7.

Apart from Cork’s goal misses (Cronin had a good shot stopped by Brendan Cummins and Paudie O’Sullivan just failed to finish it), the early stages of the second half confirmed Tipp’s improving play all over the field.

Conor O’Mahony’s excellence at centre-back and Paul Curran’s steadiness at full-back indicated a serious tightening of the defence, Seamus Callinan began to thrive at centre-forward and later Micheal Webster was to do a lot of damage when he came in at full-forward.

The end result was a growing belief in their ability to win, helped by some poor Cork finishing when they were still strongly in contention.

A Kelly free had the teams level for the first time in the 46th minute and they were to be tied twice more — in the 55th and 59th minutes. But, the momentum was very much with Tipp.

Corbett was again prominent, a more involved Eamonn Corcoran put over a huge score from a sideline ball and they benefited much more from their substitutions.

Cork gained a huge return from Ó hAilpín and Kenny — neither of whom deserved to end up on the losing team — but they needed a lot more from their team.

*Barry Kelly refereed well up to standard, although he was caught behind the play a few times. His use of the ‘advantage’ rule worked well.

Scorers for Tipperary: E. Kelly 1-7 (0-5 frees); L. Corbett 0-4; S. Callinan 0-3; E. Corcoran, S. McGrath, W. Ryan, P. Kerwick and M. Webster 0-1 each.

Cork: B. O’Connor 1-3 (0-2 frees); C. Naughton 0-4; J. O’Connor 0-2; P. O’Sullivan, S. Óg Ó hAilpin, T. Kenny and B. Corry 0-1 each.

TIPPERARY: B. Cummins; E. Buckley, P. Curran, C. O’Brien; E. Corcoran, C. O’Mahony, S. Maher; J. Woodlock, S. McGrath; S. Butler, S. Callinan, R. O’Dwyer; E. Kelly (capt), L. Corbett, W. Ryan. Subs: P. Kerwick for O’Dwyer (32nd minute); B. Dunne for Woodlock (45th); M. Webster for Butler (46th); J. O’Brien for Ryan (54th); D. Egan for Callinan (73rd).

CORK: D. Óg Cusack; S. O’Neill, D. O’Sullivan, B. Murphy; J. Gardiner, R. Curran, S. Óg Ó hAilpín; J. O’Connor, T. Kenny; B. O’Connor, K. Canty, T. McCarthy; P. O’Sullivan, P. Cronin, C. Naughton.

Subs: N. McCarthy for T. McCarthy and K. Murphy (Sarsfields) for Canty (47th); B. Corry for Cronin (54th); J. Deane for P. O’Sullivan (66th); P. Horgan for N. McCarthy (68th).

Referee: B. Kelly (Westmeath).

*Attendance: 42,823.


Tipp put an end to 86-year hoodoo
Tipperary 1-19 Cork 1-13


From the Irish Independent newspaper

Monday June 09 2008

TIPPERARY did a whole lot more in Pairc Ui Chaoimh yesterday than banish the ghosts that had haunted them on Leeside for 86 years.

They also drove a powerful marker into the All-Ireland landscape proclaiming that they really are serious contenders for ultimate glory later in the year. They out-scored Cork by 1-15 to 0-5 from the 23rd minute afterwards with a powerful display that sent their supporters spinning into celebration mode at the finish.

Hundreds of them gathered in front of the stand almost as if they expected a trophy to be presented to mark what really had been one of Tipperary’s most significant wins for a long time. It keeps them in line for a first Munster title since 2001 and ensures that whatever happens in the final they will avoid the treacherous All-Ireland qualifier waters.

If their rate of improvement during the League was most impressive, they moved onto a new level yesterday, one which Cork simply couldn’t reach. And while it may be premature to predict a serious drop in Cork’s share price, they really do face a massive challenge to revive their All-Ireland ambitions.

The manner of defeat was far more significant than the actual loss. Just as Waterford had done a week earlier, Cork started well but couldn’t sustain it once Tipperary settled into their rhythm. Tipp’s revival was completed by half-time and while Cork reached the hour mark a point ahead, they were blown away.

Tipperary hit them for eight points in the final 10 minutes, many of which were excellent efforts, including Eamonn Corcoran’s sideline cut in the 63rd minute. Tipperary’s intensity in the closing stages suffocated Cork, whose only response was a consolation point from sub Brian Corry.


It was all so different to their opening blitz which took them 1-8 to 0-4 clear after 23 minutes. This was vintage Cork whose combination play, score-taking and general sense of purpose left Tipperary baffled. Jerry O’Connor and Tom Kenny were hurtling through from midfield, Ben O’Connor was busy and bright, Sean Og O hAilpin showcased his skills at No 7 while Cathal Naughton’s movement all over the attack yielded three delightful points.

Tipperary were finding it very difficult to get close enough to apply any pressure and when Cork’s advantage extended to seven points, it looked as if they were headed for victory.

What happened from there on not only stunned Cork but suggested that there’s real steel and substance in this Tipp squad. Eoin Kelly, who had been starved of possession in the early stages, finally got his chance in the 24th minute and although Brian Murphy was well-placed to get in a tackle he couldn’t prevent Kelly from rasping a cracking shot which beat Donal Og Cusack.

"Only someone like Eoin would get a goal like that," said midfielder, Shane McGrath.

If Kelly’s goal was the catalyst for the Tipperary revival, there were other crucial developments which helped in the process too.

McGrath’s fine performance was one of them. So too was the growing stature and confidence of the entire team, allied to the individual excellence of Kelly, Conor O’Mahony, Conor O’Brien, Seamus Callinan, Lar Corbett and subs, Pat Kerwick and Michael Webster. Brendan Cummins played his part too, including a crucial save from Pa Cronin in the 39th minute.

It summed up Cronin’s day. He won plenty possession but was let down by his shooting which included four wides before he was replaced by Brian Corry at the three-quarter stage. None of Cork’s four subs made any appreciable difference whereas Kerwick and Webster added to Tipperary’s attacking menace.

Corbett had given Diarmuid O’Sullivan a hard time before moving outfield but it got no easier for the Cork full-back when Webster arrived. The big Loughmore-Castleiney club man caused all sorts of problems as Tipperary powered up through the gears in the latter stages.

And yet as Cork contemplate a defeat they could never have anticipated in the first quarter, they will be left wondering what might have happened if Paudie O’Sullivan had hit the net with a penalty in the 42nd minute, awarded after Cronin was fouled.

A goal would have put them four points ahead but his drive was blocked and cleared. It was a tie-breaking moment, one which increased the doubt count for Cork and suggested to Tipperary that a win was within their grasp if they increased the tempo.

Points by the O’Connor brothers left Cork two clear at the three-quarter stage but Kelly equalised with points from play and a free before Ben O’Connor nudged Cork ahead again.

It was nicely set up for a pulsating last 10 minutes but when the pressure came on it was Tipperary who responded better. Webster levelled it up before Tipperary hit five unanswered points to leave Cork with an unreachable target.

The manner of the late fade-out will be of serious concern to Cork. Granted, Tipperary showed awesome power but the Cork of others years would have been expected to respond. This time, they could find nothing left in the tank — indeed if the game went on for a further five minutes the winning margin would probably have been a whole lot higher.

Instead, it settled at six points which means that Tipperary had delivered a 13-point turnaround over the final 47 minutes. That’s impressive by any standards for a team that is still unbeaten in all competitions this year.

Scorers — Tipperary: E Kelly 1-7 (0-5f); L Corbett 0-4; S Callinan 0-3; S McGrath, W Ryan, P Kerwick, M Webster, E Corcoran (sideline) 0-1 each. Cork: B O’Connor 1-3 (0-2f); C Naughton 0-4; J O’Connor 0-2; T Kenny, P O’Sullivan, S Og O hAilpin, B Corry 0-1 each.

Tipperary — B Cummins 8; E Buckley 6, P Curran 7, C O’Brien 7; E Corcoran 7, C O’Mahony 9, S Maher 6; J Woodlock 6, S McGrath 8; S Butler 5, S Callinan 8, R O’Dwyer 5; E Kelly 8, L Corbett 8, W Ryan 6. Subs: P Kerwick 7 for O’Dwyer (32), B Dunne 6 for Woodlock (44), M Webster 8 for Butler (46), J O’Brien 6 for Ryan (53), D Egan for Callinan (73).

Cork — D Og Cusack 7; S O’Neill 6, D O’Sullivan 6, B Murphy 6; J Gardiner 7, R Curran 6, S Og O hAilpin 8; J O’Connor 7, T Kenny 7; B O’Connor 7, K Canty 5, T McCarthy 5; P O’Sullivan 6, P Cronin 6, C Naughton 8.

Subs: N McCarthy 5 for Canty (46), K Murphy (Sarsfields)6 for T McCarthy (46), B Corry 7 for Cronin (54), P Horgan for N McCarthy (68).

Ref — B Kelly (Westmeath).



Corcoran: plan went perfectly

By Brendan Larkin from the Irish Examiner newspaper

EAMONN CORCORAN has been part of the Tipperary scene for almost a decade and would be regarded, along with Brendan Cummins, as one of the veterans.

Yesterday, at a crucial time, the JK Brackans split the uprights with a superb sideline cut, to emphatically prove he still has a lot to contribute.

“I was delighted with that score,” said Corcoran. “Sometimes they go over, other times they don’t, but today was one of days when everything went right for us, particularly in the last 10 minutes.

“Everything we did seemed to work; the subs who came on got scores, we defended well when the need arose, and got away with making a couple of silly mistakes that on another day could prove costly.

“The view in our camp coming down was that if we were with Cork going into the closing minutes we would be in with a great chance of winning the game.

“We had put in a tremendous effort in training during the winter months and our fitness would never be in question. We had worked extremely hard on our hurling also, and it all came together today which is brilliant.

“Looking back on the game now, we were chasing it for most of the first half. Cork were flying it and it wasn’t looking good for us. But as so often happens in hurling, small things can change a game, and Eoin Kelly’s goal was the real turning point for me.

“This Tipperary team is completely different to those of the past. They’ve a great belief in their own ability all season, knowing that the training has been done and that they can come back from being down.

“Eoin Kelly’s goal was a tonic score, but he always comes up with one of those just at the right time, and to go in a point down at half time was a big boost to us because we hadn’t hurled at all in that first half.

“The second half developed into a tremendous contest with both sides matching each other point for point, and I felt that if we didn’t concede a second goal we were in with a right chance of winning.

“Brendan Cummins made a great save for us, our backs tightened up considerably and our fitness, particularly in the closing 10 minutes or so was crucial.

“Cork appeared to run out of options and we finished strongly which is always the hallmark of a good team. I can go back a long way now but it’s been years since I’ve seen such camaraderie in a Tipperary dressingroom.

“We have a panel of 33 players, three of whom couldn’t tog out today, but they were just as happy as any of the others at winning. You look around you here right now and see what the victory over Cork means to Tipperary people.

“It’s been a long time coming, but as Liam Sheedy said in the dressingroom, we have nothing to show for it. It was only a first round championship game, and there is still an awful lot of hurling to be done.

“Whoever we meet in the final, be it Limerick or Clare, that’s going to be another massive game for us.

“We’ll concentrate on getting ready for it next week, but today’s result is a tremendous boost to the team, particularly the younger lads, who are sampling Munster senior hurling championship for the first time.”



McCarthy refuses to throw in the towel

By Jim O’Sullivan from the Irish Examiner newspaper

GERALD McCARTHY concedes that changes in the Cork hurling team are unavoidable down the road, but refuses to throw in the towel in the context of their competitiveness in the qualifier stages of the Liam MacCarthy Cup.

Pointing out that the management will re-assess the situation while the players are back with their clubs over the next two weeks, he commented: “we are confident that we have a panel of very good players. There’s a bit of hurling left in us yet.” Not surprisingly, he stood over the selection — questioned by some supporters in advance of the game and by a lot more after yesterday’s defeat, some of whom weren’t happy over the delay in making changes in the attack. Having expressed disappointment with their scoring return, he was asked if this meant he was (now) questioning the line-out he and his co-selectors chose.

“Not really. It didn’t really improve an awful lot even when we did make a lot of changes in the second-half. It’s very hard to judge and gauge that,” he stated. “That’s for people to make their own judgment on. We picked really what we felt the best 15 in form — and in training they were showing that. We certainly felt we had the best 15 on the team.”

In real terms, he felt that the scoring of the Tipperary goal came at a perfect time for the League champions and that, conversely, their failure to get a goal from the early second-half penalty was crucial.

“We were motoring very well early on and we had built up a nice lead of seven points. But Tipp came back into it strongly and while their goal really turned it around for them, nevertheless, the signs were there. They had nine wides in the first-half to our four. The signs were there that they were carrying a bit of potency in the attack.

“In the second-half that proved a little bit too much for us. At the end of the day we were chasing it. We tried very hard to turn it around and made a lot of substitutions (the first two of five in the 47th minute). But, it just didn’t happen for us in the second-half.”

While he felt that the wides total each side had ‘balanced themselves out’, the Cork boss stressed the significance of the penalty miss, while at the same time avoiding any criticism of Paudie O’Sullivan.

“I suppose the penalty opportunity was a big chance missed, but, in fairness, he’s a young lad and he did the very best he could. Certainly you could not hold any grudge against him for not trying, he went for the goal and it just didn’t work out.”

While on paper Cork were very much in contention nearing the end (after scores were level three times), he felt that the game ‘was slipping away’ from them. “Tipp had the legs on us really at the end. It’s easy when you have the lead on the scoreboard and the minutes are ticking down. A team can look really, really fit at that stage — going on the surge of a wave. We have no complaints really. They were a better side over 70 minutes.”

Looking ahead, he feels that the young players on the panel will benefit from more exposure, commenting: “Down the road there are going to be changes. This bunch of players have been around a very long time. You could see how well some of the older players played. Their dedication has to be seen to be believed really. And you know it’s up to the younger players to step up to the plate and take the positions off those players. It’s a hell of a job to do that. I thought Sean Óg (Ó hAilpin) gave an absolute display of power hurling in the second-half and he tried everything to turn it around.

“These are players that a county like us would only get once in a lifetime. They have done us proud.”


The start of something special?


From the Irish Examiner newspaper

YOU can forget the Lisbon Treaty.

You can forget the Democratic primaries. The most pressing question of the last few months was answered in Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday. Tipp are back, asserting themselves after early nerves to beat Cork in the Munster SHC in front of 42,823 spectators. Not a focus group or a super-delegate in sight.

In real terms Tipp have never really gone away, but yesterday had an air of revival all the same. The blue and gold supporters can look forward to a long hot summer, and the lyrics of Slievenamon will be echoing far beyond Páirc Uí Chaoimh in the next couple of months.

Though Cork threw starting debuts to two of their full-forward line, it was their old guard who conjured a goal early on. Timmy McCarthy broke the ball towards Ben O’Connor, who found an avenue through the Tipperary defence slightly wider than the Marina. One-on-one with Brendan Cummins, the Cork man held his nerve to finish calmly to the net.

With Cathal Naughton flummoxing Tipperary by operating in the middle of the field, Cork were on top, and the evidence was empirical: over 17 minutes had gone before the first chant of Tipp-Tipp-Tipp was heard.

“We showed a bit of nerves,” said Tipp boss Liam Sheedy, referring to his side’s rocky opening. “No matter how you do in the league, the Munster championship is a different animal. We were a bit jittery early on.”

True enough. Cork were rampant, running up a seven-point lead, but anyone expecting a collapse from the Premier was disappointed. Lar Corbett used his pace to range to and fro in front of the City End, and Eamonn Corcoran and Shane Maher came into the play. When a Seamus Callinan shot was half-blocked it ran to Eoin Kelly on the 21. The Mullinahone man was well-marshalled in the first half by Brian Murphy apart from those couple of heartbeats in the 24th minute; that’s all the time he needed to test the rigging.

“Eoin’s goal was the vital score,” said Sheedy. “The game might have been slipping a bit from us then, and if Cork had slipped over another point or two at that stage…”

At half-time there was a point in it (1-8 to 1-7). The game wasn’t in the melting-pot so much as the saucepan they use to melt down the other melting-pots.

Naughton blazed through for a point on the restart; Seamus Callinan retorted. Cork may draw comfort this morning from the great save Pa Cronin forced from Brendan Cummins, but three wides in a row saw the initiative slip away from them.

If the second half had a turning point it came on 42 minutes, when Pa Cronin won a Cork penalty. Surprisingly, debutant Paudie O’Sullivan took it, only for Cummins to save. In a neat reversal of 2005, when a Donal Óg Cusack penalty save spurred Cork to victory, Tipperary drew strength from Cummins’ stop, and their defence began to get on top.

Lar Corbett bore down on goal and was grounded in desperation. Seamus Callinan was winning more and more ball. With Tipp’s half-backs resolute, the supply improved to Eoin Kelly with inevitable results.

As Ol’ Blue Eyes never sang, Kelly and scores go together like a horse and carriage. Even the couple of hundred auxiliary Cork men forced to watch the game from the pitch perimeter — having been allowed out of the Blackrock Terrace by the gardaí — would have been hard pressed to keep him quiet had they been allowed beyond the whitewash.

At the end there was six points in it, and the Tipperary support drank in the victory as only Tipp fans can.

Cork will face a chorus of second-guessing: about the strike, about their selection, about their substitutions, about the decision to go for a goal from their penalty, but their real worry will be the lack of a second wind. This is the second time in 12 months that Tipperary have outpaced them coming down the stretch.

Having scored four points in the second half — and replaced four of their forwards during the game — they’ll hope improving their shot selection will bring them back into contention. If results go according to expectations they’ll face Waterford next month, a game that now assumes huge significance for both teams, as the losing side is likely to break up and face a rebuilding process.

A disappointed John Gardiner agreed with the Tipperary boss that Eoin Kelly’s goal had been critical.

“The first 10 or 15 minutes went well for us,” said the Cork captain. “But then Tipp turned the tables. The goal was the main turning point.”

“At the end we were chasing the game,” said his manager, Gerald McCarthy. “We tried very hard to turn it around, we made a lot of substitutions, but it just didn’t happen for us.”

For Tipperary the news is better, obviously enough. Liam Sheedy had his face to the heavens as the clock wound down yesterday, but divine intervention wasn’t needed.

“We finished quite strong,” said Sheedy. “We played a lot of tight games in the league, and I think that stood to us in the last 15 minutes. We’ve a lot of work done, and every one of them who went on the pitch today did well.”

Though Sheedy was careful to rein in expectations — he referred to Cork’s wides tally, pointing out that the game might have ended differently had the Rebels been more accurate — but even the downside can be given a positive spin.

The jittery opening Tipp went through yesterday can be improved for the Munster final. Shane McGrath confirmed the promise of spring. And the Premier County now look to have momentum, a handy asset facing into the high summer.

Cork bet. The hay saved. And better yet to come?

Tipperary banish Leeside hoodoo
by Jackie Cahill for Setanta Sports

National League champions Tipperary banished an 85-year hoodoo by recording a first championship victory against Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh since 1923.


A power-packed performance from the Premier County booked a date against Limerick or Clare in the Munster senior hurling final on July 13.

Munster SHC Semi-Final: Cork 1-13 Tipperary 1-19

Tipp last captured the Munster title in 2001 but after losing successive finals against Cork in 2005 and 2006, they will now fancy their chances of ending a seven-year provincial famine.

Tipp, who remain unbeaten in competitive fare this year, trailed by a point at half-time, 1-9 to 1-8, but their huge levels of fitness and hunger proved the difference when the game was in the melting pot as a second successive championship victory against their ancient rivals was secured.

During the final 19 minutes of actual playing time, Tipp outscored Cork by 0-10 to 0-2 to seal a comprehensive six-point victory.

Cork did open the game in blistering fashion and had registered 1-8 in the first 23 minutes but their return of five points for the remaining 52 minutes of playing time was never going to be good enough.

Four of Cork’s six starting forwards, including debutants Kevin Canty and Paudie O’Sullivan, were hauled off before the finish, a clear indication of the struggles to register scores.

The Rebels did find the net after just eight minutes when Ben O’Connor ghosted behind the Tipp rearguard and fired beneath the body of goalkeeper Brendan Cummins.
That effort handed Cork an early 1-1 to 0-2 lead, which stretched to 1-8 to 0-4 after 23 minutes.

Seven points down, Tipp were in serious trouble and struggling to cope with Cork’s tactics, particularly around the middle of the field.

Early on, Cork brought the hugely-impressive Cathal Naughton from the full forward line to act as a third midfielder and this ploy reaped rich dividends.

Clever movement from Naughton, Jerry O’Connor and Tom Kenny enabled goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack to find a man with alarming ease and Cork reeled off completely dominated the opening third of the game.

Tipp eventually copped on to Cork’s move and when Conor O’Brien followed Naughton out around the middle of the field and Tipp went man for man, the floodgates closed.

Lar Corbett, who lashed over three superb first half points, drifted off his marker Diarmuid O’Sullivan to devastating effect and he provided extra help to a stuttering half-forward line.

O’Sullivan went down injured early in the game and signalled that he was in serious trouble but in the absence of a genuine replacement full-back, the Cloyne clubman stayed on the field.

Shane McGrath and Corbett were almost telepathic at times, such was their understanding, but Tipp were heavily reliant on Eoin Kelly’s superb 24th-minute goal to drag them back into contention.

Debutant Séamus Callinan, who caught fire after half-time, floated a ball towards Kelly, who found himself one-on-one with his marker Brian Murphy.

A quick shimmy and turn left Kelly with the yard of space he craved and the five-time Allstar lashed a blistering drive across Cusack and into the bottom corner at the Blackrock End.

In front of 42,823 spectators, it was very much game on now and Kelly almost goaled again a minute before half-time but Cusack produced a blinding save.

A run of three points in the space of two minutes just before the interval, from Kelly, substitute Pat Kerwick and the dynamic McGrath left Tipp very much in contention at the break, trailing by just a single point.

They could, and arguably should, have held the lead heading down the tunnel but the Premier County registered nine first half wides.

It was Cork who hit some poor efforts into the densely-populated Blackrock End in the second half, with eight wides racked up, and after the sides traded early scores, the game roared into life.

After 39 minutes, Pa Cronin wriggled clear and forced Brendan Cummins into a smart save, with Paudie O’Sullivan unlucky not to connect as the sliotar bounced to safety.

Five minutes later, O’Sullivan was left desolated when his penalty was brilliantly-saved by Cummins after Barry Kelly correctly adjudged that Paul Curran had fouled Cronin.
Buoyed by that let-off, Tipp drew level in the 46th-minute when top scorer Eoin Kelly fired over a free to tie the match at 1-9 apiece.

Cork hit back with two points but Tipp rallied again as a fascinating tussle reached boiling point.

Ben O’Connor (free) and influential Tipp substitute Micheál Webster traded points before Webster was fouled by Diarmuid O’Sullivan and Kelly’s free handed Tipp the lead for the first time since they had opened the scoring after just 13 seconds.

Inspired defensively by the magnificent Conor O’Mahony, they kicked on with four more points during a run of six unanswered scores, including a delicious sideline cut from evergreen wing back Eamonn Corcoran.

Brian Corry stopped the Cork rot with three minutes left but the writing was on the wall for the Leesiders and they were finally put out of their misery when Kelly and Callinan scored late points to seal a famous, historic victory.

Cork must now regroup for a crack at Dublin, Wexford, Offaly or Kilkenny in the revamped championship and the Munster Council will come under pressure to answer some serious questions after huge numbers of Cork supporters were forced out of an overcrowded Blackrock End in the first half.

Cork fans were seated on the pitch in front of the terrace and came to the half-way line along the stands in scenes reminiscent of bygone days.

CORK: D Óg Cusack; S O’Neill, D O’Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner, R Curran, S Óg O’hAilpín (0-1); J O’Connor (0-2), T Kenny (0-1); B O’Connor (1-3, 0-2f), K Canty, T McCarthy; P O’Sullivan (0-1), P Cronin, C Naughton (0-4).
Subs: N McCarthy for Canty (47m), K Murphy (Sars) for T McCarthy (47m), B Corry (0-1) for Cronin (57m), J Deane for P O’Sullivan (66m), P Horgan for N McCarthy (68m).

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; E Buckley, P Curran, C O’Brien; E Corcoran (0-1sl), C O’Mahony, S Maher; J Woodlock, S McGrath (0-1); S Butler, S Callinan (0-3), R O’Dwyer; E Kelly (1-7, 0-5f), L Corbett (0-4), W Ryan (0-1).
Subs: P Kerwick (0-1) for O’Dwyer (32m), B Dunne for Woodlock (45m), M Webster (0-1) for Butler (46m), J O’Brien for Ryan (54m), D Egan for Callinan (60 + 3m).

Referee: B Kelly (Westmeath).



Tipperary too strong for Cork
08/06/2008 – 3:48:32 PM

From IOL.ie

Cork 1-13 Tipperary 1-19

Liam Sheedy’s Tipperary side created history at Pairc Ui Chaoimh this afternoon as they won their county’s first championship match in Cork since 1923.

Tipp, taking their unbeaten run this season to eleven wins and two draws, scored eight of the game’s final nine points to power through to next month’s Munster final.

A Ben O’Connor goal and three Cathal Naughton points had Cork leading by 1-08 to 0-04 but Tipp, thanks to a dominant spell late in the half, only trailed by 1-08 to 1-07 at half-time.

Team captain Eoin Kelly rocketed home a goal in the 24th-minute, leaving his marker Brian Murphy and goalkeeper Donal Og Cusack gasping.

Kelly finished with a personal tally of 1-07 and was ably assisted by Lar Corbett (0-04) and championship debutant Seamus Callinan (0-03).

Some of the bulging 42,823-strong crowd had to sit in front of the hoardings at the Blackrock end of the ground and they witnessed two missed goal chances for Cork during the second half.

Had Brendan Cummins and his defence not been on their toes to deny Pa Cronin and Paudie O’Sullivan, who failed to convert a 44th-minute penalty, there may well have been a different result.

But Cork’s shooting let them down after the break and although the free-running Naughton, Sean Og O’hAilpin and the O’Connor twins, Ben and Jerry, fought until the end, Tipp found that crucial extra gear to pull through.

For the counties’ 77th championship meeting, both Sheedy and his Cork counterpart Gerald McCarthy included two championship newcomers in their starting line-ups.

Cork had fresh faces in their attack in Kevin Canty and Paudie O’Sullivan, the younger brother of full-back Diarmuid, while the aforementioned Callinan and corner back Conor O’Brien made their bows for the Premier county.

Cork opted for a youthful full-forward line, with all three players eligible for the Under-21 grade. The experienced Joe Deane, Kieran Murphy and Neil Ronan had to make do with places on the bench.

Tipp’s selected side showed one change to the one that lined out for the National League final against Galway, with Benny Dunne making way for Callinan.

However, Tipp seemed to leave their league form behind them in the opening stages as Cork roared ahead – they were seven points clear by the 23rd-minute.

Naughton was on fire as he revelled in his role as a third midfielder. The Newtownshandrum man popped up on both wings as his pace caused problems for the Tipp rearguard.

Tipp had won the toss and elected to play in towards the Blackrock end and they nipped ahead when Lar Corbett got out in front of Diarmuid O’Sullivan and hand-passed for Shane McGrath to point.

Naughton flung over a point in reply from the left before Corbett again got the better of O’Sullivan and pointed on the turn.

Wides followed from Ben O’Connor and McGrath before the former raced through to ram a fine goal past Tipp ‘keeper Cummins.

Tipp were badly exposed down the middle as Timmy McCarthy got in behind Eamonn Corcoran and with the ball breaking for the onrushing O’Connor, the Cork number 10 billowed the net with a crisp shot.

O’Connor then turned provider as he set up his brother Jerry for a point. Cork were beginning to get into their stride as Naughton, who covered acres of ground, scored from the right wing for 1-03 to 0-02.

Perhaps rattled, Tipp were resorting to long-range shooting and Corbett, Kelly and Willie Ryan were starved of ball inside.

The Rebels pushed on with further points from Jerry and Ben O’Connor before Ryan ended a 15-minute scoreless period for the league champions.

With his marker O’Sullivan fighting off a back injury, Corbett got free to take Tipp’s tally to 0-04 but white flags from Paudie O’Sullivan, Naughton and O’hAilpin, who burst past two defenders before rifling over, put serious distance between the sides. 

Tipp were struggling but Eamonn Corcoran stood out in defence and Sheedy’s charges then hit a purple patch as they began to find Kelly and Corbett with their deliveries.

Conor O’Brien was switched onto the roaming Naughton before Kelly, who had to wait 20 minutes for his first real touch of the ball, grabbed his goal.

The Mullinahone ace caught a high ball and turning onto his right under pressure from Brian Murphy, he somehow found the space to send a stinging shot to the far right corner of Cusack’s net.

Strangely, the tempo dropped after Kelly’s major as both sides went through the motions when stringing together some poor wides.

Cork skipper John Gardiner and Pa Cronin were both off target, while Tipp’s wides tally ballooned to nine thanks to Willie Ryan, Seamus Butler and James Woodlock.

Still, with a better supply into the forwards, Tipp were able to close the gap to a single point by the interval.

Cusack blocked an angled goal shot from Kelly but the Tipp captain fired over a subsequent free, substitute Pat Kerwick also registered a point and Corbett gleefully claimed his third point in injury-time.

The momentum was clearly with Tipp yet the Cathal Naughton Show resumed at the start of the second half. His arcing run in from the left saw him grab a deflected point.

Callinan replied at the other end but Cork were now having the better of the play and Cummins’ reactions were tested by Cronin’s 39th-minute shot.

Naughton’s pace again exposed the Tipp defence, four minutes later. His hand-pass for Cronin might have put the young full-forward through for a goal but he was brought to ground by Paul Curran and Cork had a penalty.

Paudie O’Sullivan’s decision to take the placed ball was a brave one but unfortunately it back-fired on him as a combination of Corcoran and Cummins blocked the youngster’s effort.

Cork were never the same after that miss despite initial points from Ben O’Connor and Tom Kenny, who worked tirelessly throughout.

Three points from Kelly had Tipp back on terms on two occasions. The third of those points came after a long ball had broken to him off substitute Micheal Webster.

The long-limbed Webster was used very effectively as a target man in the closing stages as Tipp simply enveloped Cork and hit point after point.

The Rebels’ wides tally was pushed to ten before a Ben O’Connor free edged the 2006 champions into a 1-12 to 1-11 lead.

But right on the hour mark, Webster evaded Diarmuid O’Sullivan and turned onto his right to tie up the game for the fourth time.

Webster drew a foul from O’Sullivan just moments later, allowing Kelly to tap over an easy free and Tipp were back in front (1-13 to 1-12).

Sheedy’s side never looked back as Callinan (0-02), Corcoran, who scored with a peach of a sideline cut, Corbett and Kelly (0-02) all claimed points in the closing 10 minutes.

The only response from Cork was a close range point from substitute Brian Corry. Deane, Niall McCarthy and Kieran Murphy were all introduced as substitutes but their influence was minimal as Tipp set up a July 13 decider against either Limerick or Clare.

CORK: D Og Cusack; S O’Neill, D O’Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner (capt), R Curran, S Og O’hAilpin (0-01); J O Connor (0-02), T Kenny (0-01); B O’Connor (1-03, 0-02f), K Canty, T McCarthy; P O’Sullivan (0-01), P Cronin, C Naughton (0-04).

Subs used: S Murphy for B Murphy (32-35 mins, blood sub), N McCarthy for Canty, K Murphy (Sarsfields) for T McCarthy (both 47), B Corry (0-01) for Cronin (54), J Deane for P O Sullivan (66), P Horgan for N McCarthy (68).

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; E Buckley, P Curran, C O Brien; E Corcoran (0-01, 0-01 sl), C O’Mahony, S Maher; J Woodlock, S McGrath (0-01); S Butler, S Callinan (0-03), R O’Dwyer; E Kelly (capt) (1-07, 0-05f), L Corbett (0-04), W Ryan (0-01).

Subs used: P Kerwick (0-01) for O’Dwyer (32 mins), B Dunne for Woodlock (45), M Webster (0-01) for Butler (47), J O Brien for Ryan (54), D Egan for Callinan (70+3).

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath)

Leave a Reply