Leinster nick Interprovincial hurling crown


M Donnelly Interprovincial Hurling Final

Leinster 1-15 Munster 1-12

A 51st minute goal from Kilkenny’s Richie Hogan helped Leinster to a hard earned three-point win over Munster under floodlights at O’Moore Park, Portlaoise on Saturday night.

Fellow county-man Richie Power strongly aided Leinster’s comeback from a six-point interval deficit as he scored nine points, four of which came in the second half.

Leinster began brightly to lead by 0-3 to 0-2 after eight minutes but Munster began to defend strongly with Cork’s Sean Óg Ó hAilpín giving a magnificent display.

A solid Munster rear-guard only leaked two further points before the interval as they fired scores from all angles at the opposite end.

Scores from Tipperary’s Paul Kelly and Cork defender John Gardiner put Munster back in front by the tenth minute, while a Andrew O’Shaughnessy 13th minute goal helped open up a four-point gap.

The Limerick attacker cut through the Leinster defence with great pace, and blasted his powerful shot to the back of the net, giving Leinster goalkeeper PJ Ryan no chance.

Leinster clawed a point back, thanks to a fourth Richie Power score but the second quarter belonged to Munster as two points each from Waterford’s Eoin Kelly and Ben O’Connor of Cork helped their side to a 1-8 to 0-5 interval lead.

But it was a totally different script for the second half as Munster played second fiddle, with John Conran’s charges getting firmly on top.

The introduction of Bryan Hogan to midfield and a number of tactical switches helped swing the game back in favour of the eastern province.

Richie Power and Eoin Kelly traded early points, but Leinster hit four points without reply as substitute Aidan Fogarty scored from his first touch; while Hogan, Power and Michael Rice were also on target.

Munster got a point back thanks to a sixth Eoin Kelly point to lead 1-10 to 0-10 as the game entered the final quarter.

But although Munster tried hard, the closing 15 minutes firmly belonged to Leinster, with a 51st minute Richie Hogan goal paving the way to victory.

Although Power failed to convert a late penalty following a foul on Laois’ Tommy Fitzgerald it mattered little as Leinster ensured Kilkenny’s Tommy Walsh accepted the cup after the game.

Scorers for Leinster: R Power (8f) 0-9; R Hogan 1-1; J O’Connor, A Fogarty, E Brennan, E Larkin, M Rice 0-1 each.

Scorers for Munster: E Kelly (6f) 0-7; A Shaughnessy 1-0; B O’Connor 0-2; N Gilligan, Paul Kelly 0-1 each.

LEINSTER: PJ Ryan (Kilkenny); J Dalton (Kilkenny), J Tyrell (Kilkenny), D Franks (Offaly); T Walsh (Kilkenny), R Fallon (Dublin), J O’Connor (Wexford); R Hannify (Offaly), E Coady (Carlow); M Rice (Kilkenny), B Murtagh (Westmeath), E Larkin (Kilkenny); E Brennan (Kilkenny), R Power (Kilkenny), R Hogan (Kilkenny). Subs: B Hogan (Kilkenny) for Coady (HT); A Fogarty (Kilkenny) for Murtagh (34); D Horan (Offaly) for Dalton (44); T Fitzgerald (Laois) for Larkin (60)

MUNSTER: B Cummins (Tipperary); C O’Brien (Tipperary), P Curran (Tipperary), S Hickey (Limerick); J Gardiner (Cork), G Quinn (Clare), S Óg Ó hAilpín (Cork); T Kenny (Cork), B O’Connell (Clare); P Kelly (Tipperary), T Carmody (Clare), B O’Connor (Cork); A O’Shaughnessy (Limerick), E Kelly (Waterford), N Gilligan (Clare). Subs: D Óg Cusack (Cork) for Cummins (HT); L Corbett (Tipperary) for Carmody (41); D Fanning (Tipperary) for Quinn (43); S Callanan (Tipperary) for O’Shaughnessy (56)

REFEREE: Pat Greene (Galway)

Leave a Reply