Corbett treble sets up landslide

Corbett treble sets up landslide but Tipp still miss out Tipperary 4-17 Laois 1-12


By Jackie Cahill

Monday March 24 2008

A hat-trick of goals from full-forward Lar Corbett helped Tipperary to hammer Laois by 14 points in Cashel but the Premier county have to content themselves with a place in the National Hurling League quarter-finals.  Galway claimed the automatic semi-final place on offer thanks to a better scoring average after the Tribesmen defeated Limerick by 11 points at the Gaelic Grounds.

To top Division 1B, Tipperary had to better Galway’s win by 12 points, which meant defeating Laois by 23, and the sting went out of the game completely when an update from Limerick was announced at Leahy Park during the second half.   Matters were complicated even further for Tipperary when their potential quarter-final opponents Waterford and Cork finished level on points in Division 1A.

The GAA’s Competitions Control Committee is scheduled to meet tomorrow to discuss the situation.


In front of 1500 spectators, Tipp lined out against Laois without leading scorer Eoin Kelly, who damaged his back, and in his absence Seamus Butler slotted into the right corner-forward position.   But it was Corbett who picked up the attacking baton with a sparkling display.

He scored three goals in the opening 16 minutes to kill the game but from there until the finish, Tipp managed just six points more than a gallant Laois, who were on the wrong end of a 36-point hiding against Galway a week before.   Still, manager Liam Sheedy accentuated the positives after a pretty one-sided encounter as playing conditions were made difficult by an unpredictable crosswind which made long-range shooting difficult.

Tipp shot nine of their 15 wides in the opening half but they were in control at the break, leading 3-7 to 0-5.   And when John Sexton blew his final whistle, 11 Tipperary players had registered scores as all six forwards, both midfielders and two half-backs were on target.

Substitute Tommy Fitzgerald came off the bench to nab a last minute goal after Darragh Hickey’s shot had been saved by Laois goalkeeper Tadhg Doran.   Laois also boasted Tommy Fitzgerald in their ranks and the corner-forward was credited with his side’s goal 11 minutes from time as the Portlaoise forward diverted a sideline cut into the net.

That was merely a consolation score from an outclassed Laois who were unable to cope with the searing pace of Corbett.   The Thurles Sarsfields attacker banged home his first goal after just six minutes after turning Joe Phelan, who was switched from wing-back to full-back in Brian Campion’s absence.

Three minutes later, Corbett latched onto club-mate Pa Bourke’s flick for a carbon copy of his opener and his hat-trick was completed in the 16th minute as the full-forward tapped the loose ball to the net after ‘keeper Doran had saved his initial effort.

Scorers — Tipperary: L Corbett 3-2, T Fitzgerald 1-0, P Bourke (1f), P Kerwick, S Butler 0-3 each, C O’Mahony (1f), S Maher, J Woodlock, J Ceaser, D Hickey, S McGrath 0-1 each. Laois: J Young 0-5 (4f, 1 ’65), T Fitzgerald 1-0, Z Keenan 0-3, W Hyland 0-2, M Whelan (1f), J Rowney 0-1 each.

TIPPERARY — G Kennedy; P Stapleton, P Curran, C O’Brien; E Corcoran, C O’Mahony, S Maher; J Woodlock, J Ceaser; D Hickey, S McGrath, P Kerwick; S Butler, L Corbett, P Bourke. Subs: B Dunne for Ceaser (45), R O’Dwyer for McGrath (56), P Ormond for O’Brien (58), D Egan for Kerwick (65), T Fitzgerald for Butler (67).

LAOIS — T Doran; JA Delaney, J Phelan, C Dunne; J Fitzpatrick, M Whelan, C Coonan; J Walsh, W Hyland; J Young, E Holohan, Z Keenan; T Fitzgerald, J Dooley, N Holmes. Subs: J Rowney for Dooley (32), S Norton for Holmes (55).

Referee: John Sexton (Cork)

Leave a Reply