Bua ag Tiobraid Árann ar Gaillimh

Bua ag Tiobraid Árann ar Gaillimh

Tiobraid Árann 1-15 Gaillimh 1-12

A strong come back in the last quarter saw Tipperary defeat Galway in Nenagh tonight, Sunday 5 May.  Bhuaigh Tiobraid Árann Corn Ghlór na nGael.

On a sunny evening both sides started with very few of their recent Allianz NHL Final teams on the field.  Tipperary started with a slight breeze and the sun at their backs.  In the first half Tiobraid Árann enjoyed a lot of possession and launched numerous attacks.  Tipp enjoyed a slender advantage on the score board in the goal-less first half.  Daragh Hickey scored four points from frees before chipping in one from play also.  Tipperary’s other point came from Daragh’s centre half forward colleague, John Devane.  The closest that Tipp came to a goal was when John O’Brien’s shot from the left was well blocked by the Galway goalie, Colm Callinan.

Galway had three first half scores came from Kevin Broderick (two from frees and one from play) and two from play from Finnian Coone, leaving the half time score Tiobraid Árann 0-6 Gaillimh 0-5.  The game was well-contested and close but some of the first touches from both sides resulted in promising situations being squandered.

Galway started the second half more promisingly and Kein Broderick found the net with a 20 metre free.  The Men from the West were now gaining more possession and pressure increased on the Tipp defence.  The sides exchanged points with the goal margin remaining between the teams until well in to the last quarter.  Apart from two more pointed frees from Daragh Hickey (he missed one in each half also), Tipp’s other scores (all from play) came from John O’Brien with two points, Joe Caesar (2), John Devane (1), Hugh Maloney (1) and Pat Kerwick (1).  Benny Dunne made some eye-catching interventions.  Galway had points from Seán Glynn and John Greene as well as four further pointed frees from Kevin Broderick and one from play.  Entering the last five minutes Tiobraid Árann were still a point behind when Pat Kerwick got the decisive score with a goal from a low shot 14 metres out.  Tipp finished stronger and added a point from Micheál Webster.

Scorers: Tiobraid Árann, Daragh Hickey 0-7 (5f), Pat Kerwick 1-1, John O’Brien 0-2, Joe Caesar 0-2, John Devane 0-1, Hugh Maloney 0-1 and Micheál Webster 0-1.

Gaillimh, Kevin Broderick 1-8 1-6 from frees), Finnian Coone (0-2), Seán Glynn and John Greene (0-1 each).

Foireann Tiobraid Árann: Gerry Kennedy; Alan Byrne, Declan Fanning, Paul Ormond; Pat Stapelton, Thomas Stapleton, Benny Dunne; Pat Kerwick and Joe Caesar; Daragh Hickey, John Devane, John O’Brien; Tommy Fitzgerald, Micheál Webster, Daragh Egan.

Subs: Hugh Maloney for Tommy Fitzgerald, half time.

Leave a Reply