Allianz NHL Division 1 – Limerick v Tipperary – Match Report


Allianz National Hurling League Division 1

Tipperary 2-23 Limerick 0-8

By Cathal Ryan

Tipperary ran riot on Sunday afternoon against a much troubled fourteen man Limerick side in their Division 1 National Hurling League clash at the Gaelic Grounds. It was as early as the 12th minute of the match the crucial incident of the game occurred as referee Michael Wadding dished out a second yellow card to Limerick midfielder Dean Madden for a clip across the shoulder of Tipperary midfielder Shane McGrath. The Ballinahinch man continued without any fuss much like Seamus Hennessy did after the first incident involving Madden but the referee felt it necessary to penalise the Bruff man with a second yellow followed by a red.

Tipperary took control at this point of proceedings and in the 24th minute of the first half Timmy Hammersley latched onto a breaking ball in the inside forward line before manouvering enough space to finish to the net off his right hand side. Eight minutes after the restart half time substitute John O Brien instantly controlled a delivery from the right side of the field. O Brien turned and drove an unstoppable effort from 21 yards to the top corner of the Limerick net that consolidated the Tipperary advantage. This may spell the end of this Limerick experimental side as the general view is that at a meeting arranged for Tuesday night a vote of no confidence will be put forward against Justin McCarthy.

The Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy will look to the positive issues that were attained. They have gained another valuable two points in their attempts to reach the league final and some players got some invaluable game time to put in their claim for regular first team duties before the management. Tipperary started the game brighter and when Madden saw red in the 12th minute Eoin Kelly had registered three points from dead balls as Limerick had failed to register any more than four wides. Corner forward Graeme Mulcahy finally registered for the Shannon side outfit in the 14th minute and repeated the feat in the 19th minute but these were the only scores registered by McCarthy’s men in the first half.

Tipperary on the other hand were in cruise control as Seamus Hennessy picked up two points off his trusty left hand side, Gearoid Ryan and Michael Webster both popped up with a score each and Timmy Hammersley scored a point to follow his 24th minute goal leaving Tipperary leading 1-10 to 0-2 at the half time whistle. The second period began in the same mode as Hennessy with two, Hammersley and John O Brien notched up unanswered points in the first five minutes of the second period. Once O Brien netted in moments later with his fantastic strike the biggest cheers of the afternoon were as Liam Sheedy emptied the bench giving stars such as Shane McGrath and Eoin Kelly well deserved breaks. Next up for Liam Sheedy and Tipperary is a clash against Waterford next Sunday where no doubt a more resolute test will be brought by the Deise to Semple Stadium. Meanwhile Limerick will line out in Tullamore next weekend to face Offaly. This question is will Justin McCarthy still patrol the line for next Sunday’s encounter.


Tipperary: Darren Gleeson; Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Conor O Brien; David Young, Padraic Maher, Hugh Maloney; Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath; Seamus Hennessy (0-5), Seamus Callanan, Gearoid Ryan (0-2); Eoin Kelly (0-5,3F,1,65), Michael Webster (0-2), Timmy Hammersley (1-4,1F). Subs: John O Brien (1-2) for S. Callanan (h/t), John Devane (0-2) for S. McGrath (44), Paul Kelly for E. Kelly (44), Michael Heffernan (0-1) for B. Maher (51), Thomas Stapleton for M. Webster (56).

Limerick: Tadgh Flynn; David Lynch, Des Kenny, Shane O Neill; Lorcan O Dwyer, Andrew Brennan, Nicky Quaid; Brian O Sullivan (0-1), Dean Madden; Paul Browne (0-1), James O Brien, Cathal Mullane; Graeme Mulcahy (0-2), Paudie McNamara (0-2, 2F), Alan O Connor. Subs: Peter Harty for C. Mullane (h/t), Anthony Owens (0-1) for A. O Connor (43), Richard McKeogh (0-1) for P. Harty (55), Kieran O Rourke for D. Lynch (58), David O Neill for J. O Brien (64).

Referee: Michael Wadding (Waterford)


Limerick 0-08 Tipperary 2-24

Sunday, 21 March 2010 18:52

From the web site

Tipperary dished out a heavy beating to Limerick in today’s Allianz NHL Division 1 encounter at the Gaelic Grounds. Justin McCarthy’s men lost midfielder Dean Madden to an early red card and never recovered as Tipp cantered into a 1-10 to 0-02 half-time lead. Timmy Hammersley put his name to the opening goal and Eoin Kelly landed five points. A 44th minute goal from John O’Brien put the result beyond any doubt. Such was the one-sided nature of this game, Tipp boss Liam Sheedy took the opportunity to substitute some key players and rest them for forthcoming fixtures.

For technical reasons the scoreboard failed to work at one end of the Gaelic Grounds but Limerick supporters need not have worried too much as their side slumped to another big defeat and were lucky to escape with the scoreline as it was. The under-fire Justin McCarthy and his management team face a crucial vote at an emergency meeting of the Limerick County Board on Tuesday, but it will require a two-thirds majority to have a managerial change made. The meeting will be behind closed doors. Limerick’s cause on this occasion was not helped when midfielder Madden was dismissed for a second yellow card after 13 minutes for a wild pull on Shane McGrath. He had picked up his first yellow after six minutes for another clumsy tackle. While this added to Limerick’s woes, it did little to add atmosphere to a game in which both sides had eight first half wides.

But while Limerick could manage only two points – both efforts from play from Graeme Mulcahy in the 15th and 19th minutes – Tipperary managed 1-10 with Eoin Kelly getting 0-05 (0-04f). The all-important goal came after 25 minutes when Kelly created the chance for young forward Hammersley who managed to round two defenders before beating Limerick goalkeeper Taghg Flynn. Any slender hopes of even a respectable scoreline evaporated for Limerick eight minutes into the second half when half time substitute John O’Brien blasted home a second goal for Tipp, making it 2-15 to 0-02. Two points in 46 minutes of hurling summed up Limerick’s dismal afternoon up to that stage and while Tipperary continued to pick off points, McCarthy’s charges did manage to score six points in the last 22 minutes, two of them from frees. Sheedy hauled off Kelly, Shane McGrath and Seamus Callanan with 20 minutes remaining as the result was done and dusted.

Despite the heavy defeat, number of Limerick defenders, such as Shane O’Neill, Des Kenny and Nicky Quaid, performed well. But from midfield on Limerick were at sea once Madden had departed. Limerick hit 15 wides, one more than Tipperary but for the latter it was not really a pressing matter. This was certainly one of the most lacklustre games in the National League at this venue and while those in support of McCarthy and his management team will claim that the score was not as bad as in the All-Ireland semi-final when they lost by 24 points to Tipperary, today’s result still adds fuel to the fire surrounding the current row on Shannonside. Tipp boss Sheedy must have been impressed with the performances of Seamus Hennessy who scored six points from play, while Hammersley also made a major contribution with 1-04 (0-01f).

Leave a Reply